Meet America's (Shockingly Small) Pool of Trans Elected Officials
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2012 6:00 AM ET
Michelle Bruce, councilwoman
Being a transgender councilwoman in the South is not easy, and Michelle Bruce found that out the hard way. She was elected to the Riverdale, Ga. City Council in 2003, but when she ran for reeelection, mean-spirited opponents sued her, alleging she bamboozled voters by not telling them she was trans. While the case was thrown out by a court, Bruce still lost the primary — those results were held up by a judge.
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- Mike Pence 'Abhors' Discrimination? His Record Shows Otherwise
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Governors of Connecticut, New York, and Washington Ban Travel to Indiana
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'