Meet America's (Shockingly Small) Pool of Trans Elected Officials
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2012 6:00 AM ET
Michelle Bruce, councilwoman
Being a transgender councilwoman in the South is not easy, and Michelle Bruce found that out the hard way. She was elected to the Riverdale, Ga. City Council in 2003, but when she ran for reeelection, mean-spirited opponents sued her, alleging she bamboozled voters by not telling them she was trans. While the case was thrown out by a court, Bruce still lost the primary — those results were held up by a judge.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Daily Show Correspondent Takes on Antigay Ark. Pastor
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet