Meet America's (Shockingly Small) Pool of Trans Elected Officials
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2012 6:00 AM ET
Jessica Orsini, alderwoman
Straight-shooter Jessica Orsini gained many fans when she was elected as alderwoman in Centralia, Mo., in 2006. Not only was she candid about her trans status, she openly discussed her pagan beliefs. Orsini would see herself reelected two more times before declining a fourth run this year.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- White House to Unveil New HIV Strategy