Meet America's (Shockingly Small) Pool of Trans Elected Officials
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2012 6:00 AM ET
Jessica Orsini, alderwoman
Straight-shooter Jessica Orsini gained many fans when she was elected as alderwoman in Centralia, Mo., in 2006. Not only was she candid about her trans status, she openly discussed her pagan beliefs. Orsini would see herself reelected two more times before declining a fourth run this year.
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'