Meet America's (Shockingly Small) Pool of Trans Elected Officials
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2012 6:00 AM ET
Victoria Kolakowski, superior court judge
She broke barriers when elected as America's first openly transgender superior court judge in November 2010; Kolakowski won election to Alameda County, Calif., Superior Court, besting her opponent by 10,000 votes. Married to a woman, Kolakowski transitioned in the 1980s, all while serving as a successful attorney for more than two decades. It hasn't always been easy for the overachiever; she battled the Louisiana State Bar Association after the group tried unsuccessfully to prevent her from taking the bar exam because of her transition.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Mike Huckabee: Selfish 'Redefinition of Love' Is Destroying Marriage
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- WATCH: Australian Model Ruby Rose Comes Out as Gender Fluid