13 Transgender Americans Murdered in 2012
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 20 2012 6:06 AM ET
Brandy Martell, 37, died of gunshot wounds on April 29 in Oakland, Calif. SF Weekly reports that Martell's assailant shot her in her genitals before he shot her twice more in the torso. Tiffany Woods, her old boss at Tri-City Health Center, where Martell was a peer counselor, has been working with local police to lower the violence trans people face in Oakland. Martell's murder is still unsolved.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- WATCH: Nebraska Woman Is Suing All 'Homosexuals' on Behalf of God
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- POLL: Americans Prefer Gay President to Evangelical or Tea Partier