Visible Bodies: Transgender Narratives Retold
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 05 2013 6:00 AM ET
My loving mother and supportive family is what kept me off the streets, in college, and emotionally stable.
Claire, age 24
Gender Identity: trans woman
Having a transgender child is like taking a plane to Alaska that suddenly diverts to Hawaii. Definitely not what you imagined but more beautiful than you could ever expect.
Shelly, Claire’s mom
Gender Identity: cisgender woman
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 25 min 35 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 57 min 6 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 2 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 3 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 17 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 38 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM