Meet Mia, the Trans Woman Who'll Make You Want to Watch Houston Beauty
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 02 2013 12:04 PM ET UPDATED: November 04 2013 1:31 AM ET
Did you have any concerns about being on TV and being so open about your life?
Yes. The possibility that people could take my story and message the wrong way really frightened me.
Ms. J is known as a mother figure to some of the girls. Is that true for you?
s. J was a driving force to helping me understand my strengths as a leader, but I never felt that she was a mother figure in my life.
Do you have other trans women you look up to?
I look up to Laverne Cox who appeared on I want to work for Diddy and Netflix’s Orange is the New Black. She has really made it possible for trans women to tell their story through television. I also look up to Isis King who appeared on America’s Next Top Model and Major Griffin Garcy. I look up to trans women who continue to stamp the world with their message and story.
One last question, because once you're on TV everyone wants to know: are you single or partnered?
I am currently single. I recently ended a relationship of one year with my ex-boyfriend.
- Retirement Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia 39 min 34 sec ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1 hour 28 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 2 hours 38 min ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM