A Tribe in Peril: The Hijra in Mumbai
BY Alison McCauley
March 06 2014 6:05 AM ET
Gomzi, 28, works in the sex trade in Mumbai.
Husna and Gomzi play affectionately with each other. They are both part of the same hijra "family group." Husna is also a sex worker. She picks up clients at the train station and says, "I don’t think about the danger because I have to survive."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role