12 Cisgender Allies to Trans Causes
BY Parker Marie Molloy
May 12 2014 7:30 AM ET
Molly and John Knefel, podcasters
These two Brooklyn siblings host the Radio Dispatch podcast, providing a thoughtful viewpoint on the topics of politics, race, gender, and inequality. The two have provided in-depth coverage of trans issues, including a number of episodes detailing the “Dr. V” debacle. Additionally, these two have a long history of inviting transgender guests on the show.
Alicia Menendez, journalist
Recently, Menendez played host to Janet Mock on her Fusion show, AM Tonight. Menendez and Mock flipped the traditional script of a cisgender journalist asking a trans person invasive personal questions, and instead featured Mock asking Menendez questions like, “Do you have a vagina?” and “Do you feel your sense of self, your ‘cissness,’ holds you back in any way?” In all, the segment served as a powerful example of how absurd the media can often be when it comes to trans identities.
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism