PHOTOS: Mt. Holyoke Students Come Out for Trans-Inclusion
BY Mitch Kellaway
September 04 2014 11:56 AM ET
While Mount Holyoke College's recent groundbreaking decision to accept all transgender students — including trans women — was undoubtedly reached for multiple reasons, the insistence of the allies pictured below may have played a part.
Last spring, Mt. Holyoke's Open Gates — a student organization dedicated to the full inclusion of trans women at the single-gender institution — took photos of students, alumni, and other community members who agreed with their mission, reports BuzzFeed. Each held up a written statement in support of trans-inclusion.
Memorable phrases include: "Support Your Sisters, Not Just Your Cis-Ters!" (which references the word "cisgender," a synonym of "nontransgender"), "Exclusion is Violence," and "Trans Women Belong at Mt. Holyoke."
Read all of their sentiments in the pictures below.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Artist Spotlight: Ben McNutt