PHOTOS: Mt. Holyoke Students Come Out for Trans-Inclusion
BY Mitch Kellaway
September 04 2014 11:56 AM ET
While Mount Holyoke College's recent groundbreaking decision to accept all transgender students — including trans women — was undoubtedly reached for multiple reasons, the insistence of the allies pictured below may have played a part.
Last spring, Mt. Holyoke's Open Gates — a student organization dedicated to the full inclusion of trans women at the single-gender institution — took photos of students, alumni, and other community members who agreed with their mission, reports BuzzFeed. Each held up a written statement in support of trans-inclusion.
Memorable phrases include: "Support Your Sisters, Not Just Your Cis-Ters!" (which references the word "cisgender," a synonym of "nontransgender"), "Exclusion is Violence," and "Trans Women Belong at Mt. Holyoke."
Read all of their sentiments in the pictures below.
- BREAKING: Federal Judge Upholds Puerto Rico Marriage Ban
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- WATCH: CNN's Cooper, Lemon Explore Their Roots in Special Program
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet