PHOTOS: The Spirit of Boston Pride
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 12 2013 6:00 AM ET
Some things really do get better with age, and Boston Gay Pride is no exception. Started in 1970 by a small group of gay and lesbian Vietnam War protesters, it continued and grew, becoming one of the oldest surviving festivals of its kind. Today, Boston Pride attracts more than 400,000 participants annually. A recent piece in The Boston Globe makes the case that Boston actually powered the birth of the gay rights movement.
Out NBA athlete Jason Collins and Joe Kennedy (center) march in the parade.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Teen From Disturbing Video Explains How It Started
- MICHAEL SAM CUT FROM RAMS ROSTER
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- WATCH: Travis Wall Brings Same-Sex Couples to So You Think You Can Dance