GLAAD, American Apparel Unveil LGBT Pride Shirts
BY Trudy Ring
June 23 2013 6:00 AM ET
GLAAD and American Apparel have again partnered to create T-shirts to celebrate LGBT Pride Month, and this year, for the first time, they bear a transgender- and bisexual-inclusive slogan.
The T-shirts and tank tops, printed with the words “Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Pride,” were unveiled Friday and are now available online and in stores around the nation. The ad campaign for the shirts features a transgender model and same-sex couples, the latter being a first for a U.S. market campaign by American Apparel.
Last year, some transgender activists objected to the fact that the shirts said only “Legalize Gay” or “Gay O.K.,” although the ads featured transgender model Isis King.
GLAAD national spokesman Wilson Cruz praised American Apparel’s design for this year’s shirts. “By creating this transgender-inclusive T-shirt and tank, American Apparel is showing that they are not only trendsetters in fashion, but also trailblazers for equality for all LGBT people,” he said. “Additionally, the company’s statement of ‘Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride’ will show millions of people that not only is being an LGBT individual OK, but it is something to be proud of and celebrated.”
American Apparel employees will also join GLAAD staff in LGBT Pride parades across the nation, including in New York and Chicago. Fifteen percent of the proceeds from the shirts will go to GLAAD. To shop, click here.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 25 min 4 sec ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 30 min 9 sec ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 1 hour 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 1 hour 22 min ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM