PHOTOS: Pride in Jerusalem Breaks With Orthodoxy
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 02 2013 5:00 AM ET
Jerusalem is no Tel Aviv. And how the two Israeli cities celebrate pride is evidence of the differences.
“I don’t feel safe here,” said Guy Geron, a student from Tel Aviv while being interviewed by The Jerusalem Post during Pride on Thursday. "I know I can’t act the same here as [in] Tel Aviv because here I can’t [publicly] express my affection for my boyfriend – or even speak out about things related to me being gay."
The 12th annual pride march in Jerusalem was met with its regular set of protesters — ultra-Orthodox Jews who were nearby protesting. They held signs and blew into the Shofar, which is a ram's horn. Three were arrested, including a man who threw a stink bomb at the LGBT supporters, according to The Jerusalem Post.
Tel Aviv is well known for its welcoming attitude and huge Pride celebration. (See photos here.) Check out photos from Jerusalem Pride on the following pages.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- Maddow to Putin: Ha! Take That!
- Op-ed: What It's Like Being Trans In Military Academies
- Year in Review The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?' 5:00 AM
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM