RaiseAChild to Promote Adoption by LGBTs at San Jose Pride
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 16 2013 7:04 PM ET
RaiseAChild, a nonprofit organization that assists LGBT people in adopting and fostering children, will be offering information to prospective parents at the San Jose Pride Festival this weekend.
The Los Angeles–based organization’s presence at the festival is a move to broaden its outreach toward a national scope, says Corinne Lightweaver, RaiseAChild’s special projects manager. The group aims to guide and educate more LGBT couples and singles through the adoption process, where they have historically encountered hurdles.
“We want to let LGBT people know they are welcome and wanted,” says Lightweaver, pointing to the organization’s public education and parent advocate programs as free resources for prospective parents.
In February the Williams Institute reported that 6 million Americans have an LGBT parent. And that number is rising. In 2009 the institute noted that the number of same-sex couples adopting children had more than tripled in the preceding decade.
The 38th Annual San Jose Pride Festival takes place Saturday and Sunday from noon to 8 p.m. at the Discovery Meadow Park in downtown San Jose, Calif. The event will also feature entertainers such as Crystal Waters, Morgan McMichaels, David Hernandez, DJ Chris Campos, and Jessica Sutta.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 1 hour 9 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 2 hours 8 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM