PHOTOS: Pride Around the World
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 10 2014 5:00 AM ET
Antigay religious activists protest before Seoul's Pride parade. LGBT advocates marched in Seoul in defiance of a local government decision to cancel the parade; the city revoked an earlier permit for the Korea Queer Festival, saying the country remained in a state of mourning following the April ferry disaster. The cancellation came after conservative Christian churches lodged a protest with local administrators over the festival. A majority of South Koreans say homosexuality should not be accepted by society, according to a poll last year. But the level of awareness, especially among young people, has risen significantly in recent years, following public comings-out and mainstream media coverage.
Pride in Seoul.
An antigay activist is carried away by police after he tried to stop the parade in Seoul.
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Congresswoman Slams Science Magazine for Transphobic, Sexist Cover
- Arizona: Marriage Ban Wasn't Meant to Harm Gay Couples
- Tow Truck Operator Targets LGBT Drivers During Gay Days
- Michele Bachmann Is Back With One of Her Most Homophobic Comments Ever