Reasons for Pride: Setbacks for the Right Wing
BY Trudy Ring
June 30 2014 6:22 AM ET
Being antigay can cost you a TV show.
OK, we didn’t get rid of Duck Dynasty, but HGTV scrapped plans for a show starring twin brothers David and Jason Benham. The brothers, sons of anti-abortion leader Flip Benham, have insisted that they “love homosexuals,” but they oppose “homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation.” David has the more extensive record — protesting at LGBT pride celebrations, warning that marriage equality will “erode the moral fabric of society” while citing the biblical death penalty for homosexuality, and comparing opposition to marriage rights for same-sex couples with the fight against Nazi Germany — but Jason appears to share his views. In May, after publicity about their antigay statements, HGTV pulled the plug on Flip It Forward, a show that was to feature the twin real estate agents.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- WATCH: Students Silence Antigay Preacher With Song of Love
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'