Reasons for Pride: Setbacks for the Right Wing
BY Trudy Ring
June 30 2014 6:22 AM ET
Being antigay can cost you a TV show.
OK, we didn’t get rid of Duck Dynasty, but HGTV scrapped plans for a show starring twin brothers David and Jason Benham. The brothers, sons of anti-abortion leader Flip Benham, have insisted that they “love homosexuals,” but they oppose “homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation.” David has the more extensive record — protesting at LGBT pride celebrations, warning that marriage equality will “erode the moral fabric of society” while citing the biblical death penalty for homosexuality, and comparing opposition to marriage rights for same-sex couples with the fight against Nazi Germany — but Jason appears to share his views. In May, after publicity about their antigay statements, HGTV pulled the plug on Flip It Forward, a show that was to feature the twin real estate agents.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- PHOTOS: Best of Pride