Out With the Old
BY Matt Link
August 12 2010 5:00 AM ET
Bryce Bennett, a gay 25-year-old seeking a seat in Montana’s house of representatives, hopes his promise to create jobs and fight pollution wins voters over. Bennett captured the Democratic primary for the relatively liberal district around Missoula, giving him a good shot of taking the seat of retiring congressman Robin Hamilton. Like Washington and Pougnet, the University of Montana graduate has been endorsed by the Victory Fund, the D.C.-based group that works to elect gay candidates to office.
“Being young and gay isn’t helping or hurting the campaign,” Bennett says. “Everyone I talk to tells me they want a legislator who will roll up their sleeves and deliver.”
Optimism may be a political requirement for candidates, but both Szekeres and Denis Dison, the communications vice president for the Victory Fund, sound a more cautious note.
“Sexual orientation is still an issue in many places,” Dison says. Szekeres adds, “Many parts of America are still homophobic and not ready to elect an out candidate.”
Progressive areas like Baltimore and Missoula offer the best chances for gay political newcomers to succeed in November. Bennett is banking on not only the frustration of his potential constituents but their open-mindedness.
“Montana had the first woman in Congress, and we’re one of the few states to pass medical marijuana laws,” Bennett says. “We’re a live-and-let-live kind of place.”
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 37 min 20 sec ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 50 min 35 sec ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 1 hour 3 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 1 hour 9 min ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 2 hours 39 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 2 hours 42 min ago