Maryland's (Re) Commitment Problem
BY Advocate Contributors
May 17 2011 4:00 AM ET
“Both of these bills ended their lives on motions to recommit this year,” said transgender advocate Dana Beyer. “But there is a huge difference because the marriage equality proponents asked that the bill be recommitted because they didn’t have the votes. But the gender identity bill proponents wanted the floor vote,” and they weren’t given the chance by the senate leadership.
As they rebuild, advocates take some comfort in progress. The bills had never cleared a committee before this year, let alone been passed by at least one chamber with bipartisan support.
“The fact is, we got really, really far,” said Beyer. “We did not lose this on a vote. We ran out the clock.”
It’s too early to predict when the bills would see debate and votes again, especially after a legislative session where lack of guarantees seemed to be the biggest lesson of all.
“We have lot of analysis to do,” said Meneses-Sheets. “We will be doing a lot of strategic planning. We’re going to have a lot of conversations as the analysis and planning process is going on.”
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 1 min 7 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 22 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 24 min 54 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 37 min 36 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 39 min 29 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 57 min 36 sec ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 59 min 56 sec ago