Romance and Roulette: Why Vegas Is for Gay Lovers
BY Lucas Grindley
February 14 2012 5:00 AM ET
The dining experience puts you in a state of perpetual surprise, with every entrée topping the last. The "dancing eggplant" flakes at China Poblano (ChinaPoblano.com) actually twist and sashay on your plate. It's a José Andrés restaurant that combines noodles and tacos; it's just one of the many in Vegas installed by top chefs, and he's one we love from our years in Washington, D.C. The drunken noodles served at Wazuzu at the Wynn were featured on The Best Thing I Ever Ate on the Food Network. And Botero (also at the Wynn) is known for steak but offers meat-free options and a whopping 35-page wine menu (but don't miss the tater tots, stuffed with aged cheese and dipped in sour cream).
The food is only part of the eating experience in Vegas. One could get lost in the array of brunch choices at the Jasmine at Bellagio, but there's more to it than that. As we entered the casino, Frank Sinatra crooned "Luck Be a Lady" while fountain cannons fired in time with the beat. We watched the show through enormous picture windows, sunlight shining through billowing yellow curtains like stripes on a seersucker suit. For a moment we actually stopped eating and just sat and smelled the small bouquet of flowers on the table, indulging in the amorous idyll of Vegas.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 24 min 36 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 59 min 40 sec ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 1 hour 36 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 1 hour 45 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 2 hours 24 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM