BY Anita Lo
October 09 2009 10:00 AM ET
The golden fruit of love is ripe and ready.
In both love and literature, quince has long had an undeserved bad rap. This golden apple-like fruit has caused problems in Greek mythology (instigating the Trojan War), musical theater (quince pudding flambé causes a romance to break up in Pippin), and even in the Bible (as it’s thought to predate apple cultivation, quince is likely the culprit in Adam and Eve’s expulsion from the Garden of Eden). But this delicious fruit, now in season, is more fragrant and succulent than it is malevolent. Quince, with its aroma of pineapple, guava, and pear, is the base for Spanish membrillo, a sweet, reddish paste served with cheese and charcuterie, and it’s also one of the key flavors of the Loire Valley white wine Vouvray. But like love and all relationships, this fruit needs to be coddled in order to derive its full benefit. In a raw state, most quinces are mealy, granular, and dry and have an acidic astringency. But with a little heat, a little sugar, and perhaps a little sweet wine, this proverbial “apple of discord” transforms into a culinary delight.
Recipe: Quince Crumble
• 1 qt. quince, peeled and cut into half-inch dice
• ¾ cup sugar
• Juice of 1 large lemon
• 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
• 2 tbsp. brandy
• 1 tsp. cornstarch
• ½ lb. butter, cubed
• ½ lb. sugar
• 1 lb. flour
• Pinch of salt
• ½ tsp. cinnamon
Mix the quince, sugar, lemon juice, ginger, brandy, and cornstarch together and place in the bottom of a nine-inch pie mold. Place remaining ingredients in a bowl and, with your hands, rub the ingredients together until blended and crumbly. Top quince mixture with the flour mixture and bake at 350˚ until golden brown and crisp, about one hour. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Holiday Gift Guide: Bacon of the Month Club
For the foodies on your list, a different artisanal slab of rich, smoky porcine goodness delivered to their door each month makes a sizzling gift. Six-month and full-year subscriptions range from $190 to $375, and each shipment includes a recipe suggestion for that month’s bacon. GratefulPalate.com
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 20 min 42 sec ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 27 min 42 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 30 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 1 hour 47 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 1 hour 58 min ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 2 hours 2 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 2 hours 18 min ago