150 Reasons to Have Pride in 2010
BY Advocate Contributors
May 10 2010 5:00 AM ET
BECAUSE ROB REINER IS NOW ALL IN THE FAMILY
conservative cable-news pundits spit out the phrase “Hollywood liberal”
(translation: “vile reprobate”), they’re usually referring to either
George Clooney, Sean Penn, or Rob Reiner, whose crusades for early
education and against the tobacco industry are legendary. But it wasn’t
until Proposition 8 left its dirty fingerprints up and down the state of
California that gay rights became a chief concern for the 63-year-old
director. “It was an eye-opener,” Reiner says. “It’s the last big piece
of the civil rights puzzle.” Reiner was instrumental in raising funds
for the legal challenge to Prop. 8, currently wending its way through
the federal courts. One of the plaintiffs, Kristin Perry, is a longtime
colleague of Reiner’s and the current executive director of First 5, a
childhood development program funded by cigarette taxes—the result of
California antitobacco ballot initiatives that Reiner spearheaded.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview