193 Reason to Have Pride: Part Two
BY Advocate Contributors
May 17 2011 4:00 AM ET
BEING GAY SHOULDN’T BE A STICKY WICKET ON THE PITCH
Steven Davies is the first active professional cricketer to announce he’s gay. “I’m comfortable with who I am — and happy to say who I am in public,” England’s handsome cricket star told London’s Daily Telegraph. Both his team captain and team director supported him 100%.
GEORGE TAKEI IS ON TWITTER, OH MY!
Many gays remember George Takei as the solemn Sulu on Star Trek, but a whole new generation can engage with the saucy actor, now known as @GeorgeTakei. Some gems:
• I “finally figured” out what #FF means. It wasn’t what I thought, but I’ll take it anyway. Will you ask others to #FF me? Oh, myyyyy!!
• SNL’s Victoria Jackson thinks Glee is turning boys gay. Frankly, I think Victoria Jackson is more to blame for that.
• On this Nat’l Alien Abduction Day, I remind non-humans of the Prime Directive and demand cavity probes be strictly voluntary.
LAUGHING BEATS WHINING ANY DAY
As the sassy host of “That’s Gay,” a segment on Current TV’s infoMania since summer 2009, writer-comedian Bryan Safi satirizes the media’s treatment and representation of gay people and issues with viral-ready spoofs on hot topics ranging from the Chick-fil-A controversy to Logo’s The A-List.
WE LOVE PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES
Ooh la la. Taking its name from Jules et Jim, Truffaut’s celebrated 1962 film about a torrid ménage à trois, Hôtel Jules & Jim, a stunning new property in the Marais, Paris’s famed gay quarter, offers LGBT guests a peaceful oasis from the bustling city and bills itself as a “straight-friendly” hotel.
THE COUNTRY’S MOST BAD-ASS ATTORNEY GENERAL IS ON OUR SIDE
California AG Kamala Harris squeaked to victory late last year, cementing a pro-gay administration throughout Sacramento’s halls of power. The youthful, mixed-race Harris has repeatedly stood by her gay constituents, vowing to fight Prop. 8 even when she served as San Francisco’s district attorney. Her refusal this year to defend Prop. 8 in a federal appeals court could help kill the insidious initiative for good.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM