193 Reason to Have Pride: Part Two
BY Advocate Contributors
May 17 2011 4:00 AM ET
BEING GAY SHOULDN’T BE A STICKY WICKET ON THE PITCH
Steven Davies is the first active professional cricketer to announce he’s gay. “I’m comfortable with who I am — and happy to say who I am in public,” England’s handsome cricket star told London’s Daily Telegraph. Both his team captain and team director supported him 100%.
GEORGE TAKEI IS ON TWITTER, OH MY!
Many gays remember George Takei as the solemn Sulu on Star Trek, but a whole new generation can engage with the saucy actor, now known as @GeorgeTakei. Some gems:
• I “finally figured” out what #FF means. It wasn’t what I thought, but I’ll take it anyway. Will you ask others to #FF me? Oh, myyyyy!!
• SNL’s Victoria Jackson thinks Glee is turning boys gay. Frankly, I think Victoria Jackson is more to blame for that.
• On this Nat’l Alien Abduction Day, I remind non-humans of the Prime Directive and demand cavity probes be strictly voluntary.
LAUGHING BEATS WHINING ANY DAY
As the sassy host of “That’s Gay,” a segment on Current TV’s infoMania since summer 2009, writer-comedian Bryan Safi satirizes the media’s treatment and representation of gay people and issues with viral-ready spoofs on hot topics ranging from the Chick-fil-A controversy to Logo’s The A-List.
WE LOVE PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES
Ooh la la. Taking its name from Jules et Jim, Truffaut’s celebrated 1962 film about a torrid ménage à trois, Hôtel Jules & Jim, a stunning new property in the Marais, Paris’s famed gay quarter, offers LGBT guests a peaceful oasis from the bustling city and bills itself as a “straight-friendly” hotel.
THE COUNTRY’S MOST BAD-ASS ATTORNEY GENERAL IS ON OUR SIDE
California AG Kamala Harris squeaked to victory late last year, cementing a pro-gay administration throughout Sacramento’s halls of power. The youthful, mixed-race Harris has repeatedly stood by her gay constituents, vowing to fight Prop. 8 even when she served as San Francisco’s district attorney. Her refusal this year to defend Prop. 8 in a federal appeals court could help kill the insidious initiative for good.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 25 min 51 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 21 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 37 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 19 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 50 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM