193 Reasons to Have Pride: Part 3
BY Advocate Contributors
May 18 2011 3:00 AM ET
MICHAEL STIPE IS ONLY 80% GAY
It used to be that language limited the options we had when describing ourselves. But why stop at words? The R.E.M. lead singer prefers a numerical designation for himself.
THE FEELING IS MUTUAL
No big surprise that Brooklyn-based, gender-bending gay performance artist Kalup Linzy is one of James Franco’s best buds. The two men, who worked together on General Hospital, have already recorded a number of songs as the music-based performance art duo Kalup and Franco.
ST. VINCENT’S HIV CLINIC LIVES ON
St. Vincent’s Catholic Medical Center in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village was one of the first institutions to address and treat HIV and AIDS in the early 1980s. Though the hospital closed in 2010 after more than 160 years, patients in the HIV clinic have continued to receive services in space that was part of St. Vincent’s, primarily under the auspices of Mount Sinai Medical Center. With the property now sold and slated for redevelopment, Mount Sinai is looking for a new location in the neighborhood and promises no interruption in care.
MORE SAME-SEX COUPLES ARE RAISING CHILDREN IN THE SOUTH THAN ANY OTHER U.S. REGION
As often happens, reality utterly defied expectation when U.S. Census data from 2010 showed that same-sex couples in Southern states are more likely to be raising children than their counterparts on either coast. African-American and Latino couples are twice as likely as white couples to be raising children, but unfortunately, they are also more likely to be struggling economically.
STEVEN PETROW IS TEACHING US ALL TO HAVE BETTER MANNERS
Steven Petrow knows a thing or two about manners. A former editor at Life and Time Inc., in 1995 he penned The Essential Book of Gay Manners and Etiquette, his first attempt at getting gay men to stop behaving badly. Sixteen years and multiple columns on manners for Out, The Advocate, and The Huffington Post later, Mr. Manners is back with what promises to be the quintessential guide for gays and lesbians who want to smooth out their rough edges. With Steven Petrow’s Complete Gay and Lesbian Manners For Every Occasion: The Definitive Guide to LGBT Life, the author hits everything from sex and dating to coming out. If you thought proper etiquette was just about folding napkins, you’re in for a real surprise.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1 hour 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM