193 Reasons to Have Pride: Part 3
BY Advocate Contributors
May 18 2011 4:00 AM ET
THE MAJORITY RULES — IN OUR FAVOR
Granted, the rights of a minority shouldn’t be subject to a popular vote, but we couldn’t help being happy when support for marriage equality broke the 50% barrier in recent CNN and Washington Post/ABC News polls. And as the torch passes to a new generation, young people’s open-mindedness on all things LGBT makes the future look brighter.
OF AWESOME, SUPPORTIVE CHILDREN
When University of Iowa engineering student Zach Wahls stood up to the Iowa house of representatives the day before it advanced a measure that could give voters the right to decide if marriage rights for the state’s same-sex couples should be repealed, he provided proof that kids raised by gay couples are no different from those in any American family. “The sense of family comes from the commitment we make to each other,” he said in his rousing speech (the YouTube video had 1.76 million views at press time), “to work through the hard times so we can enjoy the good ones. It comes from the love that binds us. That’s what makes a family. So what you’re voting on is not going to change us.”
WE’RE HILARIOUS, EVEN WHEN PICKETING
While we are serving a purpose by marching in the streets and rallying for marriage equality, funny protest signs displaying outlandish quotes from Deuteronomy, jokes about the many loves of Elizabeth Taylor and Liza Minnelli, and cracks on the religious right certainly help ease the tension.
LESBIANS AND BI WOMEN WILL WHIP YOUR BUTT INTO SHAPE
Body by Jake’s got nothing on tough, toned ladies like Jackie Warner, Briana Stockton, Shawnee Harkins, Jillian Michaels (pictured), and, of course, Susan Powter.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 2 hours 25 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 46 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 2 hours 55 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM