21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
15. DOMA Defense Continues
President Obama declared the Defense of Marriage Act to be indefensible because it violates the U.S. Constitution. But that hasn’t stopped House speaker John Boehner from funding lawyers (to the tune of $1.5 million) who argue the law must be upheld because gay people aren’t really discriminated against, they’re bad parents, and being gay is a choice.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- WATCH: Gay Dream Team of Michael Urie, Randy Harrison in Such Good People
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet