21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 4:00 AM ET
15. DOMA Defense Continues
President Obama declared the Defense of Marriage Act to be indefensible because it violates the U.S. Constitution. But that hasn’t stopped House speaker John Boehner from funding lawyers (to the tune of $1.5 million) who argue the law must be upheld because gay people aren’t really discriminated against, they’re bad parents, and being gay is a choice.
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'