21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
17. The “Gay Panic” Defense Is Alive and Well
Brandon McInerney admitted to shooting gay teen Lawrence King in a classroom, but his prosecution for murder ended in a mistrial after the defense argued it was King’s “flamboyance” and cross-dressing that was to blame. A sympathetic jury didn’t want to send the teenage McInerney to jail for life, and even LGBT groups urged prosecutors to offer McInerney a plea bargain. A retrial is possible in 2012.
(RELATED: What Went Wrong In McInerney Trial?)
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet