21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
17. The “Gay Panic” Defense Is Alive and Well
Brandon McInerney admitted to shooting gay teen Lawrence King in a classroom, but his prosecution for murder ended in a mistrial after the defense argued it was King’s “flamboyance” and cross-dressing that was to blame. A sympathetic jury didn’t want to send the teenage McInerney to jail for life, and even LGBT groups urged prosecutors to offer McInerney a plea bargain. A retrial is possible in 2012.
(RELATED: What Went Wrong In McInerney Trial?)
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages