21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
17. The “Gay Panic” Defense Is Alive and Well
Brandon McInerney admitted to shooting gay teen Lawrence King in a classroom, but his prosecution for murder ended in a mistrial after the defense argued it was King’s “flamboyance” and cross-dressing that was to blame. A sympathetic jury didn’t want to send the teenage McInerney to jail for life, and even LGBT groups urged prosecutors to offer McInerney a plea bargain. A retrial is possible in 2012.
(RELATED: What Went Wrong In McInerney Trial?)
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Speak Now: Prop. 8 Decision Will Pave Way for National Marriage Victory
- More of You Could Be Fired for Getting Married
- Op-ed: I Met My Best Friend on Grindr
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'