21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
20. The Immigration Issue
President Obama has overseen the deportation of more than 1.06 million undocumented immigrants since he took office, many LGBT folks among them, but the fight over same-sex binational couples and undocumented LGBT immigrants came to a head this year after gay Pulitzer-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas came out — as undocumented. LGBT immigrants were cautiously optimistic after Obama announced this summer that some of the undocumented would be considered low-priority for deportation, including those who are in long-term same-sex partnerships, but many couples and individuals remain mired in an uncertain immigration process.
(RELATED: Jose Antonio Vargas Comes Out Again)
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Out NYC Owner Hires Omar Sharif Jr. as Community Liaison
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- Ala. Senate Passes Bill That Would End Marriage Licenses
- Greenland Parliament Unanimously Green-Lights Marriage Equality