21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
20. The Immigration Issue
President Obama has overseen the deportation of more than 1.06 million undocumented immigrants since he took office, many LGBT folks among them, but the fight over same-sex binational couples and undocumented LGBT immigrants came to a head this year after gay Pulitzer-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas came out — as undocumented. LGBT immigrants were cautiously optimistic after Obama announced this summer that some of the undocumented would be considered low-priority for deportation, including those who are in long-term same-sex partnerships, but many couples and individuals remain mired in an uncertain immigration process.
(RELATED: Jose Antonio Vargas Comes Out Again)
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend