21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
20. The Immigration Issue
President Obama has overseen the deportation of more than 1.06 million undocumented immigrants since he took office, many LGBT folks among them, but the fight over same-sex binational couples and undocumented LGBT immigrants came to a head this year after gay Pulitzer-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas came out — as undocumented. LGBT immigrants were cautiously optimistic after Obama announced this summer that some of the undocumented would be considered low-priority for deportation, including those who are in long-term same-sex partnerships, but many couples and individuals remain mired in an uncertain immigration process.
(RELATED: Jose Antonio Vargas Comes Out Again)
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Op-ed: I Met My Best Friend on Grindr
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Op-ed: New Jersey's Most Antigay Teacher Shouldn't Have Her Job
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet