21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
4. More Bullying, More Teen Suicides
Despite a year of It Gets Better videos, including his own, gay 14-year-old upstate New York student Jamey Rodemeyer killed himself after unceasing taunting at school. His death highlighted frustration with a bullying and suicide problem that isn’t going away. Outrage led Lady Gaga to raise the issue with President Obama, Anderson Cooper hosted televised specials on bullying, and everyone agreed that more needs to be done. Next year could be the time.
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- Op-ed: How Laramie Finally Made Judy Shepard Proud
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- 15 Queer Documentaries That Helped Define Us