21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
6. Gay Rights in the Classroom
While Tennessee considered the “don’t say gay” bill, which would have barred schoolteachers from talking about LGBT history, California took the opposite tack. The passage of SB 48 ensures that the LGBT civil rights movement is part of the curriculum. Opponents promise to overturn the law but missed an October deadline to get enough signatures to put the repeal on the ballot in 2012.
(RELATED: Tenn. Senator: “Don’t Say Gay”)
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- 10 Transgender Kings and Queens Who Ruled the School