21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
6. Gay Rights in the Classroom
While Tennessee considered the “don’t say gay” bill, which would have barred schoolteachers from talking about LGBT history, California took the opposite tack. The passage of SB 48 ensures that the LGBT civil rights movement is part of the curriculum. Opponents promise to overturn the law but missed an October deadline to get enough signatures to put the repeal on the ballot in 2012.
(RELATED: Tenn. Senator: “Don’t Say Gay”)
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Scott Eastwood: 'I Support Gay Marriage'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community