21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
6. Gay Rights in the Classroom
While Tennessee considered the “don’t say gay” bill, which would have barred schoolteachers from talking about LGBT history, California took the opposite tack. The passage of SB 48 ensures that the LGBT civil rights movement is part of the curriculum. Opponents promise to overturn the law but missed an October deadline to get enough signatures to put the repeal on the ballot in 2012.
(RELATED: Tenn. Senator: “Don’t Say Gay”)
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- The Media Pioneers Will Be Gay
- Op-ed: Has the LGBT Glass Ceiling Been Shattered in the Communications Field?
- Idaho Spends Thousands on Lackluster Defense of Marriage Ban