The Interview: Oh, Ricky!
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 11 2012 10:25 PM ET
Even within the chaos of traveling, Martin maintains a structure for his
family. "The amount of love these kids have is crazy," he says. "Me and
Carlos, my mother, Rose, the dancers, the sound engineers..." Martin's
voice trails off.
The Carlos he refers to is Martin's boyfriend
of nearly four years, Carlos Gonzalez Abella, a financial
analyst/stockbroker. Martin has been hesitant to discuss his boyfriend
in the past, but now he flashes a toothy smile and leans in a bit, his
voice growing softer. "I think he's so sexy. He's very smart. That is
such a turn-on," Martin laughs. "He leaves the house every day in a suit
and tie and that is so sexy. It's two different worlds — his and mine. I
know as much about his world as he knows about my world, which makes it
Martin acknowledges that dealing with media and
public scrutiny isn't easy for the press-shy Abella. Except for
occasional paparazzi shots, the two are rarely photographed together.
While being honored at the GLAAD Media Awards last year, Martin thanked
his boyfriend from the podium. "He takes it one step at a time," Martin
says. "And still my world — our world — is full of surprises every day,
even for me. We complement each other beautifully in many ways."
partner is also equally dedicated to providing stability for Matteo and
Valentino, Martin says. "There's a lot of love and a lot of
communication. He's guided by the approach I take with the kids, he
imitates it perfectly."
Martin insists he wasn't looking for a
relationship when a mutual friend introduced the two men in 2008. "It
was just one of those things that just happened," he recalls. "I was
like, 'You're not supposed to be here right now. Would you please allow
me to just go on my journey?'"
"People say be careful what you
wish for. The other day — " Martin pauses again. He's cautious of saying
too much about his partner. "I don't care. I'm going to say it. The
other day he said, 'I was looking for a boyfriend and God gave me a
family.' I said, 'That's beautiful, but you were looking for a real man
with a family and you got it.'"
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 33 min 41 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 38 min 8 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1 hour 53 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 42 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM