Lesbian Bands, Hear Them Roar
BY Ari Karpel
May 23 2012 4:00 AM ET
Of course, there’s another reason she became Susan SurfTone (pictured at left). “My last name is Yasinski,” she explains. “So although it’s very easy to spell, it has what my uncle calls Polish Name Syndrome.” In other words, the name doesn’t exactly conjure the idea of cool music.
A female lead guitarist who makes surf music is rare, but it was rarer still in 1993, when she formed Susan and the SurfTones. She began playing guitar as a child, but as her music evolved from a hobby to a livelihood there were many detours. “I was the first person in my family to go to law school,” she notes, and from there she landed a job as an investigator at the FBI. “I never went deep undercover,” she says.
Still, she was under a cover of sorts all those years. “I was one of those ones that I think was born gay,” she explains. “It was a lifelong struggle.”
Not that she had such a hard time accepting herself, but her mother, with whom she was always close, did. “My mother and I struggled with the fact that I was gay,” SurfTone recalls. “As long as she was alive I couldn’t go fully public with it. Like, if I got any press, you know I would have to fight with her about it. She was not someone that wanted it to be public, because she viewed it as a reflection on her.”
SurfTone lived her life openly, but she shied away from public pronouncements. In fact, she had very little public attention until after her mother passed away, in 2009, leaving her daughter with enough money to finance the recording of her album Shore. It also freed her to be publicly, unabashedly lesbian.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 10 min 16 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 24 min 9 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 26 min 49 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 38 min 38 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 42 min 10 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 44 min 44 sec ago
- Women Evan Rachel Wood, Anne Rice, Join Calls to 'Save Kate' 47 min 19 sec ago