The True Meaning of 'Going Green'
BY Paula Amato MD
July 09 2012 4:00 AM ET
Meat consumption has been associated with increased risk of colon cancer, although not all data are consistent. More recently, a study in the United Kingdom found that consuming a vegetarian diet and a high intake of dietary fiber (over 25 grams a day) were both associated with a lower risk of diverticular disease, a common bowel disorder. Since a majority of people in the Unites States fail to meet the recommended average intake of dietary fiber, this may have much to do with the growing rate of diverticular disease. At the same time, rising obesity rates will lead to substantial increases in heart disease, diabetes, and possibly cancer.
Vegetarian, plant-based diets are associated with longevity and a lower risk of chronic disease and are acceptable dietary practices in terms of health outcomes, but right now there is insufficient evidence that they confer greater benefit than, for example, a Mediterranean diet (which emphasizes whole grains, fish and seafood, olive oil, legumes, and fruits and veggies).
Bottom line: We need more research on the association between the spectrum of types of vegetarian diets and risk of chronic disease before we can make dietary recommendations to the general public. In addition to considering nutritional quality, researchers should also consider economics, and the environment. A compelling argument for the unique benefits of a vegetarian diet may be most appropriately made on ecological grounds. But until all the evidence becomes available, it seems most prudent to consume a mostly plant-based diet.
Paula Amato, MD, is a reproductive endocrinologist at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland and a member of the board of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Save Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 min 45 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 46 min 9 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 58 min 42 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 1 hour 12 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 1 hour 12 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 1 hour 13 min ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational Couples Stranded 1 hour 25 min ago