What This Author Is Passionate About
BY Advocate Contributors
July 09 2012 4:00 AM ET
… Girls Scouts of America.
I was overjoyed when I heard 7-year-old trans kid Bobby Montoya was finally permitted to join her local Girl Scout troop. The Girl Scouts were a big part of my childhood. My record-setting cookie sales aside, it’s where I learned about serving others. There may have been some backlash about Bobby’s inclusion, but I’m not sure what we as a nation expect from our teenagers, both bullies and victims, when we tell 7-year-olds that they don’t belong. GSoA believes that all children should be able to participate in their community. Support that mission and donate, volunteer, or buy some Samoas. GirlScouts.org
- Bruce Jenner Ends Speculation, Comes Out as Transgender Woman
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- 7 Lessons in How (And How Not) to Interview Trans People
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend