What This Author Is Passionate About
BY Advocate Contributors
July 09 2012 4:00 AM ET
… Girls Scouts of America.
I was overjoyed when I heard 7-year-old trans kid Bobby Montoya was finally permitted to join her local Girl Scout troop. The Girl Scouts were a big part of my childhood. My record-setting cookie sales aside, it’s where I learned about serving others. There may have been some backlash about Bobby’s inclusion, but I’m not sure what we as a nation expect from our teenagers, both bullies and victims, when we tell 7-year-olds that they don’t belong. GSoA believes that all children should be able to participate in their community. Support that mission and donate, volunteer, or buy some Samoas. GirlScouts.org
- WATCH: Australian Model Ruby Rose Comes Out as Gender Fluid
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- Larry King Is Confused By Anna Paquin's 'Non-Practicing' Bisexuality
- The Daily Show's Unforgettable Takedown of Andrew Shirvell
- WATCH: A Trans Girl's Inspiring 'Letter to the World'