Andrew Rannells: Meet The New Normal's Bryan
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 10 2012 4:00 AM ET
“It’s a real gift,” Andrew Rannells says of his role as Bryan Collins in the eagerly anticipated NBC sitcom The New Normal. “To go from being scrappy and taking what chances are given to you to relaxing and having the opportunity to choose projects is really lovely.”
The busy 33-year-old sounds completely sincere while speaking by phone from his Manhattan apartment. The suddenly in-demand actor is taking a short break from the hectic pace of filming HBO’s hit dramedy Girls during the day, while at night finishing his long run in the Broadway musical The Book of Mormon.
There will undoubtedly be many more opportunities to choose from when The New Normal premieres in September. Rannells stars alongside Justin Bartha, who plays David; the two are a well-heeled gay couple preparing to have a child with the help of a sweet surrogate (Georgia King), despite the objections of her comically bigoted grandmother, played with great zest by Ellen Barkin.
The two gay dads scenario of the series not only taps into the cultural zeitgeist, it comes with an impeccable pedigree. It was conceived and developed by Emmy Award–winning hit-maker Ryan Murphy, on a long winning streak after Nip/Tuck, Glee, and American Horror Story, and Glee writer Allison Adler, and it costars The Real Housewives of Atlanta’s breakout star, NeNe Leakes, as the unrestrained assistant to Rannells’s character.
Surprisingly, though, the comedy was developed as a vehicle for Rannells rather than the better-known Bartha, familiar from his work in hit franchise films The Hangover and National Treasure. In May 2011, Murphy caught a performance of The Book of Mormon, the giddy, potty-mouthed Broadway musical hit from the creators of South Park. Rannells portrayed Elder Price, a golden-boy missionary sent to disease-racked Uganda. It’s an indelible portrayal that earned Rannells a Tony Award nomination as Best Actor in a Musical as well as throngs of adoring fans and backstage hugs from celebrity admirers such as Goldie Hawn. The writer-producer immediately recognized the actor’s potential.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 17 min 21 sec ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 1 hour 13 min ago
- Transgender Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 1 hour 13 min ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 hour 33 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 2 hours 1 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 2 hours 22 min ago