Stephen Moyer: Bleeding Heart
BY Brandon Voss
July 12 2012 8:00 AM ET
As vampire king Bill Compton on HBO’s True Blood, which is currently in its fifth season, Stephen Moyer still has boys begging to be bitten. Married to bisexual costar Anna Paquin, the 42-year-old Brit just wishes he had a bigger gay following than some of his costars.
The Advocate: The LGBT community has embraced True Blood from the start. Are you conscious of your own gay fans?
Stephen Moyer: I feel very at home in that world, so I’m very pleased about it, but I may come in fourth behind Joe Manganiello, Alex Skarsgård, and Ryan Kwanten, if I’m really honest. I’m a little upset. Once upon a time I was doing very well in that area, but after Alex and Joe joined the show, I naturally went down in the pecking order.
Were you aware of that audience prior to True Blood?
I got quite a good response when I did the miniseries The Starter Wife and played a big bum with his top off most of the time. I worked hard to please everybody on that one.
You’ve said that women occasionally ask you to bite them. Do men ever ask for a bite?
I’ve been asked to bite in West Hollywood. If the person looks clean and wholesome, I might oblige.
There has been criticism that True Blood has alienated some viewers because it’s become “too gay.” What’s your response?
Is there such a thing as too gay? We live in a very different world than we grew up in, so if people can’t embrace that aspect of our show, then that’s a shame. I certainly don’t think it’s specifically gay, but our show ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of people. We have an incredibly broad audience, one of the widest demographics in terms of sexuality and age groups, so obviously we’re doing something right.
You’ve gotten in on the action with a fantasy sequence involving you and Sam Trammell. Was that a challenging scene?
Not at all. We had an awful lot of fun that day, and I happen to think Sam’s a very good-looking man. We also had a lot of fun lighting the scene with our shirtless stand-ins, Nate and Lenny. [Laughs] Not that that particular scene was a challenge, but anything that seems like it could be a challenge in the script is just meat for an actor. So I looked at that scene like, Oh, my God, that’s fantastic. I can’t wait to do that!
Sam’s sex dream and your imminent kiss were cut short by Sam’s phone ringing. Like many home viewers, do you secretly wish it had gone off just a little later than it did?
[Laughs] I think we’ve all had times where the alarm’s gone off or the phone’s rung earlier than you wanted it to.
Speaking of sexual tension, when will Bill and his adversary Eric just get it over with already and have angry vampire sex?
I’ve been asking myself that question for a long time. Alex and I would absolutely embrace that. Last year, when Sookie had her fantasy about the two of them with her, we even suggested it. Of course, Bill and Eric together isn’t necessarily Sookie’s fantasy.
If you’ve read any True Blood slash fiction, you know it’s a common fantasy among fans.
I have not read any of it, but apparently some of it is incredibly good. I know it exists and that it can get very graphic.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 21 min 14 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 1 hour 17 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 51 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 51 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 51 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM