Going Hollywood at Joseph Abboud
BY Matthew Breen
July 13 2012 4:00 AM ET
(Left to right) Landry Fields of the New York Knicks, actors Matt Czuchry, Chris Lowell, and Kellan Lutz attend the Joseph Abboud Fall 2012 fashion show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week at Hudson River Park's Pier 57 on February 9, 2012 in New York City.
“Ralph Lauren does it in a very British way, and I do it in an American way,” he says of the line that conveys a refined get-down-to-work attitude, “which is maintaining comfort and functionality.”
Since becoming creative director two years ago, Rojo has been redefining a label that, once known for classic design and luxurious fabrics, was in danger of being relegated to memory. There’s a tightrope walk required of the person designing for a brand well known to longtime and devoted customers, while simultaneously trying to reach new audiences, but according to observers, Rojo has been managing it deftly. He has refreshed the silhouettes of suit jackets and pants, and the brand, which now includes scarves, bags, and shoes, has a new cohesion. This year he brought Joseph Abboud back to the runway for the first time in seven years.
“He’s bringing more of a design edge,” says John Jones, fashion director of menswear trade publication MR Magazine. “There are a lot of stores and a lot of guys who liked Joseph Abboud all along and will continue to, but Rojo is opening it up a bit more and is certainly offering something for that guy who is looking for something special.”
Rojo’s own interest in fashion and design started in his childhood in Madrid, at age 6 or 7.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 33 min 14 sec ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 51 min 6 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 4 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 24 min ago
- Youth BREAKING: Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 43 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 51 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 2 hours 15 min ago