Going Hollywood at Joseph Abboud
BY Matthew Breen
July 13 2012 4:00 AM ET
Backstage at the Joseph Abboud Fall 2012 fashion show.
Rojo went to design school in Madrid, and about the time he came out, he began to toy with dressing in punk styles, wearing his hair in a Mohawk, and emulating Morrissey and Robert Smith of the Cure.
“As you get older, you start to develop your own style, but experimenting with different looks was so much fun,” he says. In Madrid the obscure nightclubs he preferred were in the neighborhoods frequented by “the prostitutes, the gays, and the drug dealers,” he says with a laugh. The best were the clubs with the most interesting and eclectic crowds. “If everyone looked alike, I wouldn’t go.”
After design school he lived in London for nine years, and for six of those he worked for Dunhill, where he designed tailored clothing and refined his skills.
“As a master tailor you need to breathe Savile Row,” he says. “You need to work with the masters there. You need to know the rules to be able to break them.”
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 6 min 41 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 3 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM