Coming Out in Print
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Issue 951, November 22, 2005
The Houston Comets star, a three-time Olympic gold medalist and three-time MVP of the WNBA, is considered one of the greatest female basketball players in the history of the sport. In 2005, Swoopes told the world she was in a long-term relationship with another woman and landed a lucrative endorsement deal with Olivia Cruises. In 2011 newspapers reported that Swoopes was now engaged to a man, but the athlete refuses public comment.
“I don’t want to say I’ve been living a lie, but for the past seven, eight years I haven’t been able to be comfortable in my own skin, around my own friends and family.”
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- More of You Could Be Fired for Getting Married
- Speak Now: Prop. 8 Decision Will Pave Way for National Marriage Victory
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Op-ed: I Met My Best Friend on Grindr