Coming Out in Print
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 4:00 AM ET
Issue 951, November 22, 2005
The Houston Comets star, a three-time Olympic gold medalist and three-time MVP of the WNBA, is considered one of the greatest female basketball players in the history of the sport. In 2005, Swoopes told the world she was in a long-term relationship with another woman and landed a lucrative endorsement deal with Olivia Cruises. In 2011 newspapers reported that Swoopes was now engaged to a man, but the athlete refuses public comment.
“I don’t want to say I’ve been living a lie, but for the past seven, eight years I haven’t been able to be comfortable in my own skin, around my own friends and family.”
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View