Coming Out in Print
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Issue 185, March 10, 1976
The former NFL running back made national headlines when he came out in an interview for The Washington Star’s controversial “Homosexuality in Sports” series. He wrote an impactful memoir, The David Kopay Story, published in 1977, and he spoke with The Advocate about his plans for it. In 2006 he was a featured announcer at Gay Games VII in Chicago.
“I realize there are other people like me, younger people especially, who need to know the truth, to know that there are successful gay people in every walk of life, including the life of a pro athlete. It would have helped me to know others.”
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- In Protesting Irish Marriage Victory, Westboro Gets the Flag Wrong