Coming Out in Print
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Issue 185, March 10, 1976
The former NFL running back made national headlines when he came out in an interview for The Washington Star’s controversial “Homosexuality in Sports” series. He wrote an impactful memoir, The David Kopay Story, published in 1977, and he spoke with The Advocate about his plans for it. In 2006 he was a featured announcer at Gay Games VII in Chicago.
“I realize there are other people like me, younger people especially, who need to know the truth, to know that there are successful gay people in every walk of life, including the life of a pro athlete. It would have helped me to know others.”
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- 14 Men Who Were Once With Women
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- WATCH: Nebraska Woman Is Suing All 'Homosexuals' on Behalf of God
- WATCH: Ben Carson Thinks President Can Ignore Courts on Marriage Equality