Coming Out in Print
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Issue 981, March 13, 2007
The 6-foot- 10 former NBA center discussed whether he expected other closeted players to come out. Amaechi eventually became a coming-out spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign.
“No, I call on them to try and live more openly, as much as they are comfortable doing and feel safe doing. I call on them not to lie and become [outwardly] homophobic. There’s a temptation there: To try and protect yourself, you become the opposite. But people have to come out to their own comfort.”
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Why Does Vogue Think Bisexuality Is a Phase?
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World