Coming Out in Print
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Issue 981, March 13, 2007
The 6-foot- 10 former NBA center discussed whether he expected other closeted players to come out. Amaechi eventually became a coming-out spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign.
“No, I call on them to try and live more openly, as much as they are comfortable doing and feel safe doing. I call on them not to lie and become [outwardly] homophobic. There’s a temptation there: To try and protect yourself, you become the opposite. But people have to come out to their own comfort.”
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News
- Op-ed: What I Learned From My High School's Gay English Teacher
- WATCH: A Straight Wedding Morphs Into a Gay Proposal
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City