Coming Out in Print
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 23 2012 4:00 AM ET
Issue 981, March 13, 2007
The 6-foot- 10 former NBA center discussed whether he expected other closeted players to come out. Amaechi eventually became a coming-out spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign.
“No, I call on them to try and live more openly, as much as they are comfortable doing and feel safe doing. I call on them not to lie and become [outwardly] homophobic. There’s a temptation there: To try and protect yourself, you become the opposite. But people have to come out to their own comfort.”
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment