5 Things We Learned from the International AIDS Conference
BY Trudy Ring
October 29 2012 4:30 AM ET
A New Way of Preventing HIV
The idea of “treatment as prevention” also informed the discussion of Truvada’s recent approval to be prescribed as a preventive measure for HIV-negative people at high risk of contracting the virus. Some conference attendees questioned the wisdom of using the drug for prevention, given its cost, the possibility of side effects, and the danger that people taking it may become lax about safer-sex precautions. Harvard University researcher and conference presenter Douglas Krakower said, however, that he considers it irresponsible “to withhold strategies that may be protective.”
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- LISTEN: Santorum Frothing Mad That LGBT Activists Have 'Silenced the Church'
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism