5 Things We Learned from the International AIDS Conference
BY Trudy Ring
October 29 2012 4:30 AM ET
The Cure IS Coming
Others also have new optimism about a cure. The International AIDS Society, which sponsors the conference, has put together a strategy for seeking a cure, identifying key areas for research to make this possible. It announced the strategy just prior to the conference.
“The science has been telling us for some time now that achieving a cure for HIV infection could be a realistic possibility,” said French scientist Françoise Barré-Sinoussi (pictured above), who helped discover the virus, in announcing the project. “The time is right to take the opportunity to try and develop an HIV cure — we might regret never having tried.”
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- Op-ed: No, You Shouldn't Raise 150K for Homophobes
- WATCH: Young and Gay in Belgrade Focuses on LGBT Serbian Bravery Amid Bigotry