5 Ways Philanthropy Keeps You Healthy
BY Neal Broverman
November 01 2012 4:03 AM ET
Signing up for a cancer walk or an HIV bike ride requires exercise and, in the latter case, training. There’s also the social benefit to volunteering. You’re exposed to like-minded people who often become new friends—a verified stress reliever and life extender.
Above: Jeff Smith (right) kisses his partner, Darren Nystrom (left), before beginning the annual AIDS/LifeCycle event in San Francisco, California.
Not sure where to begin? Try VolunteerMatch.org or Idealist.org.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Hundreds Attend Satanic Statue Unveiling in Detroit Despite Terrorist Threats
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding
- These Are the U.S. Trans Women Killed in 2015
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide