You Just Said Yes, Now What?
BY Daniel W.K. Lee
July 01 2013 4:00 AM ET
6 MONTHS TO GO
Send save-the-date cards
Kerry Amidon of OutVite.com, an online supplier of customized invitations, announcements, stationery, and holiday cards for the LGBT community, notes that save-the-date cards can be sent “six months to a year before the wedding date, and are invaluable if you plan to invite long-distance guests or if your wedding is planned for a popular vacation time.”
Finalize the florist and flowers
“Bring pictures of the look you want to achieve,” recommends lesbian florist Jessy Wolvek of Fleurs NYC. That said, flowers are seasonal, so don’t expect peonies (which bloom in spring) for a fall wedding. And if your budget is about the essentials, Wolvek says you need “two arrangements for the ceremony that can be reused for the dinner, personal flowers for the wedding party, centerpieces for the tables, a large piece for your escort cards that should be used in the cocktail hour, and only votive candles on the cocktail tables. No one sees small pieces in a large room — better to use a large piece during cocktails with tons of candlelight.”
Begin honeymoon preparations
Before you make your honeymoon destination wish list, is your passport is up-to-date? After you’ve made your short list, research visa requirements and recommended immunizations.
Hire transportation (limos, town cars, etc.), address lighting needs and extra seating, book outdoor toilets and other equipment if necessary.
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM