You Just Said Yes, Now What?
BY Daniel W.K. Lee
July 01 2013 4:00 AM ET
3 MONTHS TO GO
Order the wedding cake
The biggest mistake couples can make with their wedding cake is not allowing enough time to get their dream confection created, says gay pastry chef Benny Rivera, owner of New York’s City Cakes. “There are certain designs that will require several days and even weeks of handmade sugar work,” he says. And don’t be afraid to buck tradition — Rivera notes that many of the gay wedding cakes he has done have not been the traditional pretty white cake: “Most of them are based on an idea the couple presents. Sometimes it reflects how they met, the places they have been, what represents them, or even makes fun of them.”
Choose hair and makeup
Make appointments with all of your candidates and document the results with a digital camera. Decide which was best while considering your budget, and book them.
Create a day-of event schedule
Once you’ve finalized all of the elements of your ceremony and reception, including details like who is giving which toast and when the wedding cake will be cut, give a copy of this first-draft schedule to all vendors so they get an idea of what the day is going to look like, and make adjustments according to their feedback.
This will allow sufficient time for sizing and engraving.
Send out invitations
“Invitations should be mailed three months in advance, and the RSVP date is usually set one month prior to the event date,” says Amidon. Moreover, coordinating stationery elements with the wedding décor is the trend: “With a color scheme, a repeating motif, or theme carried through from the save-the-date to the thank-you notes, each wedding should be unique and the stationery should reflect the couple and, in effect, brand their event. Recently, we have seen this branding extend to the event décor as wall art, pillows and tabletop accessories, [which] adds to the mood of the day.”
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 28 min 8 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 43 min 51 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 26 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 18 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 20 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 50 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 43 min ago