BY Matthew Breen
November 01 2013 4:20 PM ET
Gay Beach party near the Hauptbahnhof
Though none of the former East has persisted unchanged, elements of the neighborhoods as they once were inform the modern city. Even the light is different. Images from orbiting satellites show the city at night, brightly lit with vivid electric lights in the former West, while the East shows a softer yellow glow from gas lamps that have yet to be converted. The metro map shows the remnants of the Wall too. Though underground subway lines crisscross the West, the former East’s transportation system never went below ground, and that side of the city is served by the small, quainter straßenbahn, or tram network.
- Panic! at the Disco Counters Westboro Baptist Church Picket With Donation
- Shocking Increase in HIV Infection Rate Among Young Gay, Bi Men
- Fox Pundit: Obama Forcing 'Militant LGBT Agenda' on Christians
- WATCH: Do Kids Movies Push The 'Gay Agenda'?
- Don't Look a Gift Unicorn In the Mouth
- GLAAD Studio Responsibility Index Reveals Lack of LGBT Visibility