BY Matthew Breen
November 01 2013 4:20 PM ET
Gay Beach party near the Hauptbahnhof
Though none of the former East has persisted unchanged, elements of the neighborhoods as they once were inform the modern city. Even the light is different. Images from orbiting satellites show the city at night, brightly lit with vivid electric lights in the former West, while the East shows a softer yellow glow from gas lamps that have yet to be converted. The metro map shows the remnants of the Wall too. Though underground subway lines crisscross the West, the former East’s transportation system never went below ground, and that side of the city is served by the small, quainter straßenbahn, or tram network.
- Kris Humphries Doesn't Support Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times