A Celebrity Craze for the Masses
BY Matthew Breen
November 05 2013 4:00 AM ET
Not surprisingly, I was food-obsessed for the three days, I didn’t actually feel hunger pangs. I’m 6-foot-3 and over 200 pounds, so I knew a 900-calorie-per-day cleanse would have an effect on me physically and cognitively. The first day was fine, but by day 3, my boyfriend was com- plaining that I couldn’t hold up my end of a conversation. I felt quite healthy, which isn’t always the most satisfying feeling, and lighter, like I had hit a reset button. I did miss chewing, and opted for an additional, but sanctioned, green salad (no dressing, just lemon) one afternoon, which I chewed while floating around in a mild, lightheaded haze.
To Ritual Cleanse’s guidelines (no alcohol, talk to your doctor before doing this), I’d add my thoughts: Don’t do it for more than a few days. I’m not a doctor, and this is not medical advice, but you’d probably be fine eating nothing for a few days in a row if you went back to eating healthy afterward. Fasting is a worldwide, ancient tradition. But a modified fast of fruits and veggies full of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients — well, that’s all good stuff.
Theoretically, I could have done the juicing at home, but it’s a mess, and I’m as unlikely to do it as I am to go the juice shop on the corner — quite literally two blocks away—and organize my own cleanse. But give it to me all in one package, and I’m on board for a short stretch. And then I need to chew again.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM