The Back Story on the Cover Artist
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 11 2011 11:00 PM ET
John MacConnell, who created the stunning image of Governor Cuomo on our cover, feels deeply rooted in the LGBT community. Not only was he at the legendary Stonewall Inn when the announcement came in that the state of New York had voted in marriage equality, he just happened to be front and center in a photograph of celebrants that appeared on one of the most iconic newspaper covers documenting the historic event. Along with the news, it was an image that went around the world.
In addition to designing covers and appearing on them, MacConnell does freelance drawing, painting, and digital art. He’s also a professor at Long Island University teaching illustration and design, and he works full-time for Harlem United, a nonprofit providing HIV prevention, housing, and care services for homeless New Yorkers.
The artist says he was ecstatic to be asked to work on our cover. “This is an important issue of The Advocate, and I feel so fortunate that I’m able to be a part of this incredible moment in history.”
Take a peek at some of MacConnell's work in the following pages.
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM