Ryan Phillippe: Cool Intentions
BY Brandon Voss
May 12 2010 5:00 AM ET
There aren’t that many gay jokes. I took my best gay friend with me to the screening and he loved it. The funny thing about MacGruber is that he’s a deplorable human being—he’s sexist, a little homophobic, a bit racist, and a bumbling idiot—but somehow, and it’s a testament to how good of an actor Will Forte is, you still like him. The only source of any gay joke comes from what an asshole MacGruber is. When you see the WWE wrestler Big Show kiss another dude, it’s pretty awesome.
The MacGruber screenwriters are writers on SNL, which also has a tendency to rely on gay jokes — like when MacGruber’s son, played by host Shia LaBeouf, came out of the closet armed with a vibrator and anal lubricant. As a recent SNL host yourself, where do you draw the line when it comes to homophobic humor?
I have my own meter as to what is and isn’t offensive, but I might bounce something off of my gay friends to get another perspective. You’re right, SNL does do that, but it’s all in a decent spirit. I know a lot of those writers who are incredibly liberal and supportive of gay rights.
What else did you and your gay buddy do in Austin?
We ended up going to a gay bar there, but I don’t even think anyone noticed me. I was kind of shocked. Maybe my gay fans are just better behaved than my straight fans.
You weren’t worried about sparking gay rumors?
Who cares, man, in this day and age?
You were a major contender for the lead in The First Avenger: Captain America, but the part ultimately went to Chris Evans. Are you bummed?
It’s something I would’ve loved to do, especially for my 6-year-old son, who would’ve thought it was the coolest thing in the world. The child within me really loved the idea of it too. There are very few things I’d get that excited about, but as an actor you have to move on. At some point I’d love to do something action-oriented like that because I’ve been in martial arts since I was eight.
You’ll be wearing spandex tights in no time.
I hope so, man. Before I get too old.
Tags: Print Issue
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Current Issue Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo 38 min 20 sec ago
- Archives From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69 39 min 28 sec ago
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 2 hours 39 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM