Ryan Phillippe: Cool Intentions
BY Brandon Voss
May 12 2010 5:00 AM ET
There arenâ€™t that many gay jokes. I took my best gay friend with me to the screening and he loved it. The funny thing about MacGruber is that heâ€™s a deplorable human beingâ€”heâ€™s sexist, a little homophobic, a bit racist, and a bumbling idiotâ€”but somehow, and itâ€™s a testament to how good of an actor Will Forte is, you still like him. The only source of any gay joke comes from what an asshole MacGruber is. When you see the WWE wrestler Big Show kiss another dude, itâ€™s pretty awesome.
The MacGruber screenwriters are writers on SNL, which also has a tendency to rely on gay jokes â€” like when MacGruberâ€™s son, played by host Shia LaBeouf, came out of the closet armed with a vibrator and anal lubricant. As a recent SNL host yourself, where do you draw the line when it comes to homophobic humor?
I have my own meter as to what is and isnâ€™t offensive, but I might bounce something off of my gay friends to get another perspective. Youâ€™re right, SNL does do that, but itâ€™s all in a decent spirit. I know a lot of those writers who are incredibly liberal and supportive of gay rights.
What else did you and your gay buddy do in Austin?
We ended up going to a gay bar there, but I donâ€™t even think anyone noticed me. I was kind of shocked. Maybe my gay fans are just better behaved than my straight fans.
You werenâ€™t worried about sparking gay rumors?
Who cares, man, in this day and age?
You were a major contender for the lead in The First Avenger: Captain America, but the part ultimately went to Chris Evans. Are you bummed?
Itâ€™s something I wouldâ€™ve loved to do, especially for my 6-year-old son, who wouldâ€™ve thought it was the coolest thing in the world. The child within me really loved the idea of it too. There are very few things Iâ€™d get that excited about, but as an actor you have to move on. At some point Iâ€™d love to do something action-oriented like that because Iâ€™ve been in martial arts since I was eight.
Youâ€™ll be wearing spandex tights in no time.
I hope so, man. Before I get too old.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 55 min 43 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 1 hour 30 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 2 hours 7 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 2 hours 17 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 2 hours 55 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM