Mark Ruffalo: Ruffalo Stance
BY Brandon Voss
April 13 2011 3:00 AM ET
Well, when I did Windtalkers, a John Woo World War II movie, my character was gay. It wasn’t explicit; it was just something I was working with personally.
Whom would you like to play Ned’s boyfriend, Felix?
We’ve been bouncing around some names, and I have a feeling it’ll be someone you’ll be happy with. Ryan’s got pretty good taste.
Then maybe he’ll write a part for you on Glee.
I’d love to be on that show, but I can’t sing. I’ve done a little dancing on film, but I’m not a singer.
Will you see The Normal Heart on Broadway, or would you rather not be influenced by Joe Mantello’s performance as Ned?
I am planning to see it. I’ve actually been asked to do something with it, whether it’s coming to introduce it, a fundraiser, or whatever — some sort of tie-in. I can’t wait to see it. You know what they say: Steal from the best.
Up through 2005, you’d periodically appear in light rom-coms like Just Like Heaven, Rumor Has It…, and 13 Going on 30. Now that you’ve gotten an Oscar nomination, are those days officially over?
I don’t know. I’ve found that rom-coms are rarely romantic, rarely comedic, and rarely a combination of both in a satisfying way. But I liked those movies I did because they were funny, but they had nice messages and real heart at the same time. Lately, I just haven’t had many rom-com scripts come across my desk that I thought were really good.
As you prepare to play the Hulk in The Avengers, some fans have expressed concern that you may have to shave your hairy chest like Chris Evans did for Captain America.
No one’s asked me to shave my chest yet, thank God. They want this Hulk to be as close to me as possible. I’ll be playing him in motion-capture, so this Hulk will just be a bigger avatar version of me. As they’re modeling him, they’re using many of my own features, down to my scars and wrinkles. He will have body hair, but I don’t know to what extent.
In a very manscaped Hollywood, your chest is famous in certain gay circles.
I was not aware. But that’s good, because young girls are probably like, “Ew, chest hair! I didn’t even know guys grew hair there.”
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM