Dylan McDermott: Scared Straight
BY Brandon Voss
November 16 2011 4:00 AM ET
You played a love interest for Will in a 2003 episode of Will & Grace. What attracted you to the role?
I thought that show was just great, and the whole cast was so amazing. I wanted to do something different and unexpected. When you’re on television for a long time, people only expect you to do one kind of role — “Oh, that’s Bobby Donnell from The Practice.” But my job as an actor is to always switch it up and change people’s minds, and I hope I’ve also done that with American Horror Story. I hope people are seeing another side to me.
Was Will & Grace your only gay character?
I think so. I don’t think I’ve ever been offered another gay role. But I had this idea — I actually brought it up to Ryan Murphy — that I wanted to play Halston. I think that would make a great movie, because his life was so interesting and complex. I was trying to develop that for a while, and Ryan was kind of mulling it over. We’ll see.
You played the friend of Robert Downey Jr.’s gay character in Jodie Foster’s Home for the Holidays, which also has something of a gay following. Word has it that Robert ad-libbed like a madman on that movie.
Robert did improv a lot, but it really made his character come alive. He’s so enormously talented. God, there were so many great people in that movie — Holly Hunter, Anne Bancroft. I wasn’t aware that had any kind of cult following in the gay world, so that’s cool to hear.
Please tell me that we haven’t seen the last of your FunnyOrDie.com character Douché, the skeevy dance instructor with the prominent bulge.
[Laughs] We’re talking about a sequel, but right now he’s living on in history. When that video came out, my poor daughter was like, “Oh, dad, did you really have to do this?”
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM